Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
For the saganaki prawns, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeños, chili flakes, paprika, coriander, ground fennel and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper and cook, 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and cook, 30 seconds. Pour in the stock and cook, 2 minutes. Stir in the tinned tomatoes. Combine the cornflour and water and stir into the sauce. Boil, 5 minutes.
Add the prawns, turn the heat down to low and simmer, 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar, parsley and organum. Spoon the mixture into a medium-sized oven dish. Top with the feta and mozzarella and bake, 10 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle the parsley over the dish and serve with the toasted bread on the side.
TIP: As an alternative, the toasted bread slices can be replaced with rice to turn this starter into a main meal.
Wine pairing: Pinot Noir, Elgin region
- 330g Pescanova 40/50 Vannamei prawns, deveined
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- ½ (80g) medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 (8g) cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5 (12g) red jalapeños, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) chilli flakes
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) smoked paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground fennel
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) fennel seeds
- salt and pepper, to season
- 10ml (2 tsp) tomato paste
- 125ml (½ cup) fish stock
- 1 (410g) tin diced tomatoes
- 25ml (5 tsp) cornflour
- 45ml (3 tbsp) water
- 7.5ml (1½ tsp) sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) parsley, finely chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) origanum, finely chopped
- 70g feta, crumbled
- 70g mozzarella, grated
- TO SERVE:
- Handful parsley leaves
- Toasted baguette or ciabatta slices